Marketing & Communication Internship (UNPAID)
Have you ever wondered if working in a nonprofit is right for you? A marketing internship at Heard Natural Science Museum & Wildlife Sanctuary will give you the opportunity to see some of the workings of an established nonprofit and help with the organization’s general promotional efforts. Interns will gain an appreciation for the overall impact media relations have on the Museum's reputation and outreach. The Heard is a 501 c-3, comprised of a natural science museum and wildlife sanctuary. We are currently looking for someone to work part time (maximum 10 hours a week). This is an unpaid volunteer position with a nonprofit organization, and may count toward course credit as applicable to your school’s requirements.
Candidate must have background (school or work) in marketing, journalism, or similar field. Proficiency in Microsoft Office required. Candidate should preferably be familiar with marketing strategies. Graphic design skills are preferable (Photoshop, Illustrator, Publisher, or similar). You MUST be self-motivated and able to handle new challenges without constant supervision. Multitasking and the ability to apply complex information are also important. You will serve as a member of a team and perform needed functions. Thus, acceptance of this internship position should be considered a sincere commitment.
To Apply for this internship, click here.
Animal Curation Internship Description (Unpaid)
The Intern Animal Curation Assistant will assist the Natural Sciences Curator in all animal care responsibilities. This is an unpaid volunteer position. No stipend or housing provided. The primary purpose of the Animal Curation Assistant is to provide for the basic care and needs of all captive animals that reside at the Heard Natural Science Museum and Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Observation of animal appearance and activity for general physical condition, obvious signs of illness, disease and discontent.
- To assist, as needed, in the feeding and thorough cleaning and sanitation of all animal living quarters and other areas of the animal collection as often as necessary (i.e., ensure no animal enclosures are soiled and odors are not apparent).
- To assist in the healthcare and well-being of all the animals in the Live Room (education and classroom animals), and the animal exhibit wall on the lower level of the museum.
- Assist in the care of any animals in the main museum exhibit space.
- Provide health inspections, food prep and food delivery to the Animals of the World exhibit.
- Recognize and record any unusual condition or abnormal behavior of any exhibit animal.
- Report signs of illness, disease, injury or unusual activity to Animal Curator.
The primary consideration of this position is quality care for all animals at the Heard Natural Science Museum. This position requires lifting and carrying of materials weighing up to 50 lbs. Walking and standing for long periods is required as is exposure to unpleasant odors, potential animal bites, scratches, contagious diseases, animal waste, hot and cold temperatures (outdoors).
Controls over Work
- Work under the supervision of Animal Curator who indicates general assignments and priorities.
- Recurring assignments are performed independently. Deviations or unfamiliar situations will be assigned by the Animal Curator.
- Completed work is reviewed for accuracy and compliance with Animal Curation procedures.
- In accordance with Heard Natural Science Museum and Wildlife Sanctuary operating instructions, attend to the care required in keeping with the individual needs and circumstances of animals.
- Follow special instructions as issued. Hours: Generally flexible with Sunday morning hours required.
To Apply for an Internship (when available), click here.
The Heard Natural Science Museum & Wildlife Sanctuary, in Mckinney Texas, is the result of one woman’s vision for the future and her commitment to the community and North Texas. In keeping with Miss Heard’s vision, the museum’s mission is threefold: education, conservation and preservation. Through education, particularly for young people, the Heard emphasizes an appreciation of nature and its conservation.
Internships will be geared toward helping the Heard accomplish this mission. Internships are intended for those individuals who wish to explore a career in natural sciences and museum work. Each project involves significant responsibility and will provide opportunities for the contribution of individual work. Qualified applicants may be considered to rotate through several intern positions. While the Heard cannot guarantee employment after internships, these positions have proved to be a valuable asset to former interns in furthering their careers.
An applicant whose candidacy passes the preliminary screening may be invited for a personal or phone interview with Heard staff. That interview will provide an excellent opportunity for internship applicants to learn more about potential projects, as well as to ask any additional questions about the Heard Natural Science Museum & Wildlife Sanctuary.
Qualifications may vary by position. Please read the job descriptions carefully. Acceptances may also be made according to an applicant's academic achievements, experiences and interests, interpersonal skills, and future career goals.