The Heard Natural Science Museum & Wildlife Sanctuary,
in Mckinney Texas, is the result of one woman’s vision for the future
and her commitment to the community and North Texas. In keeping with
Miss Heard’s vision, the museum’s mission is threefold: education,
conservation and preservation. Through education, particularly for young
people, the Heard emphasizes an appreciation of nature and its
Internships will be geared toward helping the Heard accomplish this mission.
Internships are intended for those individuals who wish to explore a
career in natural sciences and museum work. Each project involves
significant responsibility and will provide opportunities for the
contribution of individual work. Qualified applicants may be considered
to rotate through several intern positions.
While the Heard cannot guarantee employment after internships, these
positions have proved to be a valuable asset to former interns in
furthering their careers.
An applicant whose
candidacy passes the preliminary screening may be invited for a
personal or phone interview with Heard staff. That interview will
provide an excellent opportunity for internship applicants to learn more
about potential projects, as well as to ask any additional questions
about the Heard Natural Science Museum & Wildlife Sanctuary.
Qualifications may vary by position. Please read the job descriptions
carefully. Acceptances may also be made according to an applicant's
academic achievements, experiences and interests, interpersonal skills,
and future career goals.
To Apply for an Internship, click here.
Marketing Internship Description (UNPAID)
Have you ever wondered if working in a nonprofit is
right for you? A marketing internship at Heard Natural Science Museum
& Wildlife Sanctuary will give you the opportunity to see some of
the workings of an established nonprofit and help with the
organization’s general promotional efforts. Interns will gain an
appreciation for the overall impact media relations have on the Museum's
reputation and outreach. The Heard is a 501 c-3, comprised of a
natural science museum and wildlife sanctuary. We are currently looking
for someone to work part time (maximum 10 hours a week). This is an
unpaid volunteer position with a nonprofit organization, and may count
toward course credit as applicable to your school’s requirements.
have background (school or work) in marketing, journalism, or similar
field. Proficiency in Microsoft Office required. Candidate should
preferably be familiar with marketing strategies. Graphic design skills
are preferable (Photoshop, Illustrator, Publisher, or similar). You
MUST be self-motivated and able to handle new challenges without
constant supervision. Multitasking and the ability to apply complex
information are also important. You will serve as a member of a team
and perform needed functions. Thus, acceptance of this internship
position should be considered a sincere commitment.
Animal Curation Internship Description (Unpaid)
The Intern Animal Curation Assistant will assist the Natural Sciences Curator in all animal care responsibilities. This is an unpaid volunteer position. No stipend or housing provided. The primary purpose of the Animal Curation Assistant is to provide for the basic care and needs of all captive animals that reside at the Heard Natural Science Museum and Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Observation of animal appearance and activity for general physical condition, obvious signs of illness, disease and discontent.
- To assist, as needed, in the feeding and thorough cleaning and sanitation of all animal living quarters and other areas of the animal collection as often as necessary (i.e., ensure no animal enclosures are soiled and odors are not apparent).
- To assist in the healthcare and well-being of all the animals in the Live Room (education and classroom animals), and the animal exhibit wall on the lower level of the museum.
- Assist in the care of any animals in the main museum exhibit space.
- Provide health inspections, food prep and food delivery to the Animals of the World exhibit.
- Recognize and record any unusual condition or abnormal behavior of any exhibit animal.
- Report signs of illness, disease, injury or unusual activity to Animal Curator.
The primary consideration of this position is quality care for all animals at the Heard Natural Science Museum. This position requires lifting and carrying of materials weighing up to 50 lbs. Walking and standing for long periods is required as is exposure to unpleasant odors, potential animal bites, scratches, contagious diseases, animal waste, hot and cold temperatures (outdoors).
Controls over Work
- Work under the supervision of Animal Curator who indicates general assignments and priorities.
- Recurring assignments are performed independently. Deviations or unfamiliar situations will be assigned by the Animal Curator.
- Completed work is reviewed for accuracy and compliance with Animal Curation procedures.
- In accordance with Heard Natural Science Museum and Wildlife Sanctuary operating instructions, attend to the care required in keeping with the individual needs and circumstances of animals.
- Follow special instructions as issued. Hours: Generally flexible with Sunday morning hours required.