Field Trip Guidelines
Thank you for choosing The Heard Natural Science Museum
& Wildlife Sanctuary for your upcoming field trip!
Please use the following guidelines to ensure your group has
a wonderful visit.
- Group Leaders are responsible for
arriving ten minutes early for all scheduled activities.
- Group Leaders need to report to the
front desk of the main building for check-in.
- After check-in, Group Leaders should
station their students in the circular garden directly in front of the
building. Groups are to remain in the garden until greeted by a Heard Staff
Member or Docent who will direct your scheduled activities.
- Groups that arrive over fifteen
minutes late cannot
be guaranteed a full tour.
- Groups that arrive over thirty
minutes late cannot
be guaranteed a guided tour.
Send your Group Leader inside to the
front desk to
check-in with the following
- Total # students
- Total # adults
- Name of Group
- Type of Activity
- At this time, the Group Leader will
pay for any additional participants and receive further instructions for the
- Refunds or Credits will not be
granted for having fewer participants on the day of your field trip than what
is represented on the invoice.
- Students should be prepared for
going outside in all weather.
- Closed-toe shoes and long pants are
the preferred attire for a visit to the Museum & Sanctuary.
- Insect Repellent and sunscreen are
advisable. Applying repellent is time consuming so
PLEASE APPLY REPELLENTS PRIOR TO
- Hairspray, perfume & cologne attract insects!
- Nametags for each group member
identifying the person & group name are very helpful.
- Any child arriving or departing from
the Museum must be accompanied by a parent or designated adult. No one under 18
is allowed inside the Museum or on the Sanctuary unaccompanied.
- The Museum requires a minimum 1:10 chaperone
to student ratio. Chaperones must be 21 years of age or older.
- Group Leaders and Chaperones are
responsible for ensuring the group’s appropriate behavior throughout the entire
To guarantee a pleasant visit for
all our guests, the Museum reserves the right to remove any individual or group
from the premises.
- Smoking is prohibited on The Heard
Museum and Wildlife Sanctuary property.
- Help us to preserve our environment.
Please do not pick flowers, pull leaves from plants, disturb spider webs,
disturb animals, or collect any natural items while you are visiting.
- Picnic areas are the only place
where food can be consumed.
- Please store your lunches on the bus
until you are ready to eat.
We do not have room to store lunches
inside the museum.
- Please bring trash bags to
“pack-out” your refuse.
There is a dumpster for your use in
the bus parking lot. Due to the number of wild animals on our Sanctuary, containment
and proper disposal of your trash is very important.
- In the case of inclement weather we
cannot guarantee an available eating area inside the museum.
Heard Nature Store
- The Museum Nature Store is open to
- Chaperones are required to accompany
group members at all times in the Store.
- Teachers receive a 10% discount for
their personal purchases.